Harford HistorydotsCity & Town InfodotsDiningdotsRecreationdotsHarford Outdoors
photo contest
links
Advertise on our site
web design by Prize WebWorks

FALLSTON, MARYLAND- Originally "Little Falls"

To get to Fallston from I-95, John F Kennedy Memorial Hwy, Take the MD-152 exit, (Exit # 74) on the right, towards FALLSTON / JOPPATOWNE. Keep left at the fork in the ramp. Drive 0.2 miles. Turn hard left onto MOUNTAIN RD/MD-152 S. Drive 5.0 miles to your destination at Fallston.

History Links

History

The little village, which bears this name, dates to the establishment of the first post office there in 1848. The name very likely originated from the fact the Little Falls Friends Meeting was moved in 1749 from near Little Gunpowder to it's present location at Fallston. When the village had it's first post office, situated where St. Mark's Church now stands, the Little Falls Became Fallston (Falls Town).

The village in 1878 was no more than a country settlement with a few scattered homes, three stores, two shoemaker shops and a blacksmith shop.

While there was no doubt a small school in Fallston in the early 1800s, which was supported mostly by private funds, the first public school was erected in 1873.

The establishment of St. Mark's Catholic Church in 1887, and it's school in 1914, and the Episcopal Chapel in more recent years added greatly to the importance of Fallston. The community of scattered homes, churches, and stores has continued to be prosperous center of industry and residential life. 1

Fallston was known as White House for four years, before the name was changed in 1849. The Quaker settlement chose the name because of the proximity of the falls on the nearby Little Gunpowder River to the village. It is located along Maryland Route 152 about one mile north of Maryland Route 147 (Harford Road). Fallston was the first stop in the county of the Ma & Pa Railroad after it left Baltimore County on it's way to York, Pennsylvania. It is still a very rural community with no major business or industry. Surrounded by large and expensive housing developments, the area serves as a "bedroom" community for Baltimore County and City. A scarce letter has recently surfaced to indicate the use of postmarks in the early 1850's on stamp less covers. Numerous size circles with varying style types and inks have been used over the years. Eight former post offices now have service provided by Fallston: Amoss, Rutledge, Wimbledon, Upper Cross Roads, Bagley, Scatt, Wilna and Vale. Delivery service is provided up to five miles from the post office whose building was greatly expanded in 1984.2
--------------------------
1 Our Harford Heritage by C. Million Wright, published 1967
2 History of Post Offices of Harford County, Maryland by Frank M. Stewart 1991

Links

   
Harford HistorydotsCity & Town InfodotsDiningdotsRecreationdotsHarford Outdoors
 
Copyright 2007 ©  Prize WebWorks, Inc.  All rights reserved.